Modifying Custody Orders

parents fighting in front of child

Although you are no longer someone’s spouse when you get divorced, you continue to be a parent to your children. The best interests of your children are always your top priority. However, life circumstances easily change and your current child custody arrangement may no longer be beneficial to you nor your family. In this case, you may be able to modify your child custody order.

When Can A Parent Modify a Child Custody Order in Pennsylvania?

A custody modification can occur whenever circumstances change what is in the best interests of the child. It is possible for you to modify custody arrangements with your ex-spouse informally. The two of you can work out the changes on your own. After doing so, you should put the changes into writing—that is, you should create a modified custody order. This will allow the court to enforce the terms of the new agreement.

In any case, a judge must sign off on a modified child custody order. Before doing so, the judge will evaluate the request and determine whether it is in the best interest of the child. The court will want to ensure that any modification order enables a child to have continuing and frequent contact with both parents.

Here are some of the other factors that the judge will consider:

  • Availability of extended family

  • Sibling relationships

  • Preference of the child

You may also want to modify your child custody order because you intend to relocate. Given the current direction of the economy, it may be necessary for many parents to broaden their search for a new job.

If you have primary custody of your child and you have found a job in another state, it is possible for you to relocate to that state with your child if your ex agrees. However, you will also need the agreement of the judge, who will consider the effect that such a move will have on the child. In some cases, it might be better for your child to live with their other parent in order to not disrupt their schedule.

The most important thing to remember about obtaining a custody modification is that it should only be done if your current situation is no longer in the best interest of your children. The court will not allow families to change their order for the sake of it.

O'Malley Law Office is Here to Protect Your Family

If you have questions or concerns about custody modifications, O’Malley Law Office is here to assist you. Our Lackawanna County child custody attorney will provide you with compassionate guidance to ensure that your rights as a parent are protected.

Call O’Malley Law Office today at (570) 284-3551 to discuss obtaining a child custody modification.